Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Britchins and Cruppers

I never would have thought that somebody would ask me if I used britchins or cruppers. Everytime I say it, I feel guilty a little because it's almost like I'm using curse words. When we go to Crystal Mountain on Saturday, the Trail Guides recommend the use of Britchins or Cruppers on the horses. For those of you who don't know what they are, Britchins are the leather straps that go around the back of the horse, like the following:
And, a Crupper is the leather strap that loops around the base of the tail like so:

Both are meant to prevent the saddle from slipping down when climbing down a steep incline. After the talk of both Britchins and Cruppers, I proceeded to the local western supply store to gather some more information. I found out that both are relatively expensive, and that if you say Britchins just right, even the store owner will think you are using curse words!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see why that black horse even needs a britchin, he's kind of tubby I'm not sure the saddle would really slide anywhere..haha

Tricia said...

I kept looking at that palomino, and thinking about the mess that those cruppers might get into in a 'bathroom' incident. The black horse is a little tubby.

Anonymous said...

My first thought is that you had invented a few new words, then seeing the photos I realize what you're talking about. I did think the same thing though, that has got to be uncomfortable when the horsey has to go to the bathroom. What a mess to clean up. Icky. Posie would probably kick me if I tried putting something like that on!!! Hehehe